Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Post 18: Tomorrow Never DIes

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Today is going by very slowly for some reason and I find myself thinking about the future. Being introspective isn't going to help me write this blog but thinking about what is coming out in the near future hopefully will. This weekend is Memorial Day Weekend and The Hangover, Kung Fu Panda 2, and The Tree of Life all premier on Friday. I'm most excited about The Hangover and hope to watch it this weekend but the other two look pretty awesome as well. Since I have previewed all of those movies so far, here is a movie in limited release coming out this weekend that we haven't looked at. It looks pretty entertaining.


Tied to a Chair

This is about a woman that leaves her husband to pursue an acting career but in doing so gets mixed up in a terrorist plot and a murder investigation. It seems like the plot of an old Jerry Lewis or Bob Hope movie but with a woman protagonist instead. It also seems a little off-beat and fun although it makes light of some pretty serious crimes. It's definitely not going to be a high profile movie and it's doubtful many people will get the opportunity to watch it. If it comes out anywhere near me I'll probably check it out at some point.

The next movie comes out later in the month of June but it looks like it will be really good.


A Better Life

This is a movie about a man that wants to give his son a better life in America. He works hard to make sure his son is taken care of but life often gets in the way for this immigrant family. The main character is played by Demian Bichir who also plays Esteban on the awesome Showtime series Weeds. It is directed by Chris Weitz who also directed About A Boy and The Golden Compass. Unfortunately he also directed the Twilight movie New Moon so that is a mark against him, but his other work has been pretty good.

I think movies like this are good in that it shows people what life is like for immigrants on a daily basis and the types of things they have to go through in order to live and survive here in America. I hope that it also shows why people come to America in the first place and want to be a part of our society. Movies like this and the stories they tell can bring us to a better understanding of each other. I hope that it does this without becoming too heavy handed or preachy but at the same time make people want to reach out to those around them and make their integration easier. Movies like this are why I love movies in genral and I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Well that's all I have time for today. I would love to hear your thoughts on these and anything else I talk about. I defintely prefer dialogue over monologues so please feel free help create that with me.

Have Fun!

1 comment:

  1. How dare you talk bad about Twilight??? :)

    Tied to a chair is definitely not my cup of tea. I will only watch it or at least try to watch it if someone else wants to see it.

    I agree with you about A Better Life.I hadn't heard or seen a preview about it before now, but I'm glad you shared it with us. Movies about hope, love and life always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete