Thursday, May 5, 2011

The 4th Post

Hello again and welcome back to my movie blog. Today I am going to continue to look at some upcoming comedies that I may or may not want to see. You may or may not want to see them as well but we'll check them out together.

To start off I'm going to list my top ten comedy movies of all time. This list is different than my top ten favorite movies which can be seen in my first post.

1. Spaceballs
2. Blazing Saddles
3. Robin Hood Men in Tights
4. Airplane
5. Zoolander
6. Pineapple Express
7. The Hangover
8. Swingers
9. Mr. Deeds
10. The Waterboy

As you can probably tell I have a slight obsession with Mel Brooks movies. His stuff is just so awesomely put together. You have to watch his movies several times just to catch all of the jokes he packs into them. My top five in this list will probably never change but the bottom five has been known to get upended as you can tell with the more recent inclusions.

Well lets look at our first preview for today:


Super

This movie actually came out at the beginning of April but it's in limited release and will probably not be anywhere I can see it anytime soon, if ever. It reminds me a lot of Kick-Ass if anyone has seen that but with a more indie vibe. It is apparently very violent and over the top but that was pretty much how Kick-Ass was as well. Ellen Page is humorous and usually appeals to the indie crowd and Rainn Wilson does pretty good work on The Office so I'm guessing they do a decent job with the characters. Liv Tyler and Kevin Bacon seem to be out of place here but that will probably add to the absurdity of the movie. The writer and director James Gunn seems to be relatively new so I don't know what to compare it to. I'm sure this isn't going to touch mine or anyone's top ten for that matter but it looks like it could be amusing.


Kung Fu Panda 2

I'm pretty excited about this movie. I really enjoyed the first Kung Fu Panda as they seemed to focus on the storyline and a good action comedy is always fun. I do get annoyed whenever I see something is in 3D because I worry that they will focus too much on making things jump out at you instead of making a good film. However for the most part Dreamworks does a pretty good job with their cartoon movies, not including the last couple of Shreks. I can see how this movie could be made but I do hope that if it does well they don't try to milk the franchise dry like they did for Shrek. I'm pretty sure I'll be watching this one in theaters once it comes out.


Bad Teacher

Based on the storyline and subject matter, this movie overall looks pretty craptastic. However it does have a lot of little things going for it. The biggest redeeming quality of this movie is probably the fact that Jason Segel who is quite hilarious, is in it. If you haven't seen Forgetting Sarah Marshall I HIGHLY recommend watching it. Justin Timberlake is pretty funny and in general Cameron Diaz is amusing as well. The director is the same one that directed Orange County an underrated comedy with Jack Black. So those things are good and give it potential. On the other hand, Cameron Diaz seems to be channeling Billy Bob Thornton and she's a terrible teacher trying to raise money for a boob job in order to find a man to take care of her. Way to step up for women everywhere. I am sure that I will watch this movie at some point but it is highly doubtful it will be at the theater.

Well I believe that is all I have time for today. Again, please feel free to comment on any of the movies I have posted about and let me know what you think of them. I'm not sure what I'll be posting tomorrow but I'm open for suggestions.

Have fun out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment