Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Post 7: Generations

Welcome back. Today is a brand new day and I'm feeling pretty awesome. I might even go for a run, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Today I am looking at two very different movies. My cousin has shown me an independent film that I will preview and I have an interesting Norwegian film that I'd like to share.


Another Earth

This movie is considered a sci-fi drama. It seems that when another earth appears in the sky the people find out that there are duplicates of everything including themselves. A young woman attempts to visit the new planet in order to escape her troubled past.

I am sure this is going to focus more on the drama side of things and the sci-fi aspect will probably only be used to move the story along. I am doubtful that they will explain things such as how we have never discovered this planet before or how gravity is going to really screw things up like the tides. But regardless of this, it looks like an interesting story. It seems to be about running from your past, getting second chances, and wondering what might have been. I'm guessing that in the end the girl will probably realize that it is impossible to escape your past or your destiny and the best thing would be to make the best of where you are.

Whether that is true or not, as I said with Thor, the ending doesn't matter. Even if it is predictable, the way you get there is what is important. The film is done by newcomers to the industry so there is little to compare it to. The director has only directed one other movie, a documentary back in 2004 called Boxers and Ballerinas. He also co-wrote and co-produced this film with the star of the movie Brit Marling who has done very few movies herself. It seems that these people are very invested in the film and I am sure poured their lives into it. I will probably watch it because of that if nothing else.

Now for something completely different...


The Troll Hunter

This is a Norwegian film about a group of students doing a documentary. They think they are investigating bear attacks but they soon find out these attacks were done by Trolls that the government has tried to keep hidden. This is definitely a new type of monster movie. In general I don't like horror movies but this looks like fun. It is done by Norwegian actors, actresses, and film crew so I have no idea what to compare it to or what to expect from it. However judging from the preview, it has some pretty awesome special effects and the dialog seems pretty entertaining. This is something I might check out at the theater if it comes out near me as it seems pretty exciting.

Well, that's all I got at the moment. As always I'm interested in what you think so drop me a line in the comments. Tune in tomorrow, same bat-time, same bat-blog.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment